I had been very intrigued by Jimmy Dean’s protein packs every time I walked past in the grocery store. They sounded awesome, but I didn’t want to spend $3/box. Thanks to an Ibotta coupon and crazy sale I finally got my hands on them at .75/pack and was hooked- so I went into DIY mode to make it easy to get my salty snack fix.
- 15 lightly salted whole almonds
- 1 cheddar cheese stick
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- *Optional: 1/2 Apple
- reusable bento style containers (see suggestions below)
You’ll need: 1 hard-boiled egg, 15 almonds, 1 oz cheddar cubed
(Italian and Smokey Pepperjack Coming soon!)
(is your mouth watering yet?!)
1) Metal bento snack box: 3 divided compartments, the stainless steel doesn’t hold smells and is eco-friendly, and it’s top rack safe. It’s also a really nice size for these snack boxes. I don’t like the price tag.
2) Plastic Easy Lunchbox bento boxes: super cheap for a 4 pack, 4 compartments means you can add optional chopped fruit or an extra egg, dishwasher safe and kid-friendly. Dislike: not leak-proof, so don’t put anything such yogurt, dip, etc as it may drip. Some plastic holds egg smell
3) Glass Meal Prep Containers: Price is good for a 3 pack, better for adults, dishwasher safe, 3 compartments. A little but bulky compared to the others and I don’t let my kids use these because they drop stuff all the time.
4) Komax Biokips: Very similar to #2, these ones are kid-friendly, same perks AND— leak proof! Slighly higher price tag.
Nutrition (doesn’t include apple)
*these values are approximate and may vary based on brand and individual differences.
Losing weight doesn't need to be miserable. Sign up for your FREE Get Started Kit!
Step by Step Instructions
Hard boil eggs the night before giving enough time to cool. Set out your method of storage.
Step 2- prepare cheese
Cut an 8 oz block of cheese in 1 oz chunks, then cube cheese into 6 pieces.
Step 3- prepare protein
Remove shells from eggs if desired, rinse and pat dry. I will typically wait to peel my eggs or wrap the peeled eggs in a ziplock to keep the rest of the pack from tasting like eggs.
Step 4- Prepare Cheddar Protein Box
Place 1 egg, 15 almonds and 6 cheddar cubes in the box. If you do not have separated compartments you will need to place the hard boiled egg in a bag to prevent the almonds from getting soggy and the egg smell/taste from getting into the other foods.
Step 5- Consume or Store Cheddar Box
Store protein boxes in fridge for up to 1 week. Enjoy!