My friend-let me preface this by saying-cauliflower “fotatoes” taste like crap. If you have to add in 3000 pounds worth of bacon, sour cream, and butter to make them taste “just like mashed potatoes” they’re disgusting and are NOT the same as mashed potatoes. I digress. This recipe is every moms dream- this cauliflower/instant potato ratio has the fluff and flavor of pouched instant potatoes, with the added nourishment of cauliflower- and no one can tell (truly I tested this on my friend Lisa who is a cauliflower hater). So I give you, the perfect cauliflower and potato ratio that you will actually want to eat. You’re welcome.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower florets (about 4 cups)
- 4C chicken stock or 4 cups water+2T bouillon
- 1 package of instant potatoes that contain some sort of flavor (ie a pouch of 4 cheese mashed potatoes) my favorite is Idahoan 4 Cheese!
- Butter/milk per potatoes instructions (Idahoan does not require either)
Crumble cauliflower into a medium pot, add enough water and bring to a boil.
- Boil until cauliflower is tender, approx 6 minutes.
- Drain the water back into the measuring cup, reserve.
- Mash the cauliflower florets until desired consistency
- Add potatoes to pot and give it a little stir
- Look at directions for instant potatoes, and start adding back some of the reserved liquid. Idahoan potatoes requires 2 cups of water- I usually use 1 1/2-2 cups depending on how much water the cauliflower held and my preferred consistency.
- Mash again if desired, pour into a bowl and serve! You will never know the difference. Do you truly cannot tell if it’s cauliflower in these mashed potatoes.